The Construction Site Inspector oversees land development projects. The Planning Department is responsible for guiding, directing, and reviewing land use development activities. Under the direct supervision of the Planning Director, and general direction of the Township Supervisor, this position performs field investigations and ensures compliance of approved plans for all active private development.
Physical requirements described herein are representative of those requirements which must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential job functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made upon request to enable an individual with a disability to perform these essential job functions.
The employee must be able to drive to visit properties and project sites within the Township. Property visits will be required to assist in evaluating development projects, site design, water run-off, water retention, compliance with construction plans and design, etc. While on site the employee must be able to traverse rough terrain to complete on-site inspections and bend and lift to inspect conditions and report as necessary. Weather conditions may vary.
These qualifications represent guidelines; alternative qualifications may be substituted if sufficient to perform duties required by position.
• Oversee active development in Oshtemo Township
• Observing underground public utility installation to ensure compliance with plans, permits, and specifications.
• Complete pre and post pour inspections for public sidewalk installation.
• Ensure construction is following any local, state, or federal requirements and safe practices within public Right of way per OSHA standards.
• Calculate dimensions, square footage, profile and component specifications, and material quantities using a calculator or computer.
• Analyze site conditions and document findings with reports, design maps, graphs, and diagrams
• Prepare reports and document project activities for any field site visits
• Confer with external project supervisor(s) to determine project details, such as work schedule, acceptance testing, changes in approved plans and evaluation of field conditions
• Evaluate materials testing methods and reports applying engineering knowledge
• Perform manual labor such as bending, digging with a hand shovel, carrying equipment, stakes, and other items that may be heavy (between 5 and up to 50 lbs.) daily
• Serve as primary communication between property owners and/or owners’ representative and Department Heads
• Occasionally maybe asked to present in front of group.
• Confirm necessary conditions of approval are met prior to issuance of building
permits or occupancy permits and manage project files • Coordinate with Southwest Michigan Building Authority on project status
REQUIRED SKILLS & BEHAVIORS:
• Ability to organize, schedule work and complete work assignments within established timelines
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Broad computer knowledge in particular Microsoft Office products
• Customer service and detailed oriented
• The most successful candidate will possess highly effective communication skills, conflict resolution abilities and passion for ensuring the communities best interests are at the forefront of all decisions.
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE OF:
• Governmental policies and procedures
• Construction techniques and practices
• Material properties and placement practices for Portland Cement Concrete
• Material properties and placement practices for Hot Mixed Asphalt
• Stormwater Management and Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control measures
• Site grading and interpreting elevations
• Assist in conducting progress meetings.
• Minimum 2+ Year Standard concepts in site development and construction
• A high school diploma or its equivalent
• Self-Managing workload and prioritizing tasks with multiple deadlines
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
This position is hourly at 40 hours per week, with a starting hourly rate of $25.00. Oshtemo Township offers a generous benefits package that includes family medical, vision, and dental insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, basic life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability insurance; 401(a) with up to 8% Township contribution; 457 plans; Paid Time Off; and 12 paid holidays each year.
Please e-mail your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and complete the employment application (link below) https://us.openforms.com/Form/15f2b9fd-51a7-44b5-9b12-f9bc9aa4f576 by 12/15/22 to apply.
Oshtemo Township provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type with regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.