Overview: A Carter Components Designer is responsible for designing plans for the production of wall panels, trusses or engineered wood products. Ensures drawings are produced accurately and timely based off of blueprints provided by customers. Requires the knowledge of commonly used concepts and practices within the construction industry. Effective communication with the field, internal departments and external vendors is mandatory for the success of this position.
- Knowledgeable in the basic aspects of construction
- Previous experience using truss, engineered wood product or wall panel design software
- High level of knowledge in the application of the products being designed
- Competency in basic mathematics, geometry and trigonometry
- Knowledgeable in reading architectural and structural plans
- Ability to analyze, trouble shoot and problem solve
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and Outlook
Creates design illustrations based from blueprints to produce working drawings for fabrication. Completes and finalizes designs for production and assembly. Evaluates designs to ensure that design standards are being met.
- Analyzes and Troubleshoots
Reviews and analyzes specifications, blueprints, engineered drawings and related designs to determine factors affecting design of the wall, truss and engineered wood components.
Communicates with production teams, customers and Store Managers to ensure designs are accurate throughout the process. Assists stores in responding to questions/concerns from customers.
- Ability to spend long periods of time on the phone
- Ability to type
- Ability to sit for long periods of time
- Personal computer and various software
- Mitek, Wall Builder Program and other design software
- Copier, fax machine and other office equipment
Reporting Relationships: A Designer reports to the Design Supervisor. Based upon the market’s organizational structure, a Designer may report to other positions. No position reports to a Designer.
I understand that the above statements are a general list of responsibilities and expectations. This list is not intended to be all inclusive and Carter Lumber reserves the right to alter the responsibilities of the position at any time.